Sunday, July 27, 2008

4th of July

I LOVE the 4th of July. It is definitely my favorite holiday next to Christmas. We have so many traditions and I love spending the time with my whole family and being reminded of the wonderful blessing it is to live in this amazing country!

Each year we go to the Freedom Festival in Provo. The morning is spent getting up really early (4am) to get a good spot for the parade where we stake out enough space for both sides of my family. The parade is always so much fun (hot, but fun...) with all the floats, huge balloons, high school marching bands and color guards (go Lone Peak!!!!!) and the most loved entry in the parade...the Provo Utah Missionaries!!! I love going to the parade with the little kids. They are so cute waving to everyone and make it such a blast.

The whole gang (almost) watching the parade.
My trooper of a sister-in-law sat through the hot parade while 8 1/2 months pregnant!

Lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents....and my dad, the gimp. ;)


Easton used the spray bottle to make sure everyone stayed cool. He was a little too good at that job. The part of the parade that gets the biggest applause. Hmmm....I wonder why?

After the parade we walk around all the booths that are out around Center Street and enjoy blow up rides, snow cones, and funnel cake!

We normally spend the afternoon bbq-ing with both sides of our family, but this year just spent it with the Castillo's since my aunts from Texas and Washington were in town with their families. We spent the afternoon hanging out at grandma's house eating, playing games (Nertz and the Wii especially), chatting and napping. Good times.
a
That evening Michelle and I went and spent time with the Filichia's. It was so good to have them in town and get to hang out with them. Ward was also down from Salt Lake and we hung out at Lauren's apartment and then went up to the MTC fields to watch the Stadium of Fire firworks. The fireworks were great, but the best part was just chillin' with Big Tim, Cara, Lauren, Matt and Ward! I'm glad Shell got to meet them.

Me and Wardy. I think this is the first normal picture I've ever gotten of him. And of course, I'm being retarded!

Crazy kids! Lauren, Ward, me and Matt


My beautiful sister and I waiting for the fireworks to start.

It was such a wonderful day and I am so grateful for the blessing that we enjoy by living in the United States. I'm grateful for the freedoms we enjoy and the peace and happiness that is ours!

2 comments:

Haley said...

Great post. It was a fun day, but quite hot! I'm just thankful for the shade that we had, so my baby didn't bake!! Cute pic of you and Shelly. I think you should do a post of all of your self portraits you have together. Wonder how many you have!?

Jason said...

I have sort of a hard time with the 4th of July these days. I guess I'm sort of a partly cloudy patriot, to quote sarah Vowell:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ywu2i1zCoxwC&pg=PA155&lpg=PA155&dq=%22in+the+summer+of+2000+I+went+to+see+the+mel+gibson+blockbuster%22&source=web&ots=ocMIV_vofg&sig=brMoPWVk9n7PnXgfE87CZzjVgqE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result