Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Judge-isms

I work for a great Judge. He is awesome. He is also a small-town boy who is normally pretty quiet and reserved, but every once in a while will say something that shocks us all. You also have to know that he was a JAG for the Marines and just retired from the Marines this summer. He still has to go to Germany on assignments that he can't tell me about, so I know he has probably killed somone with his bare hands.

Yesterday we had our office Christmas party and the Judge was sitting at my table along with a couple friends and another Judge. It was actually quite hysterical. We were playing Court Bingo and some of the words on the cards were names of attorneys. And unless you work at the court, you probably won't understand why this was so funny, so sorry! But they called out O - Sheldon. (Sheldon Carter is an attorney here in Utah County) The Judge casually announces, oh look, he's right next to continuance. Ha!! (seriously, I'm sorry, it's such a court joke!) The whole room started laughing and I think most people were thinking, was that the Judge that just said that? (most people have never heard my Judge even speak...)

Now here is the part that everyone can appreciate. Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the front desk saying that there was a couple there that wanted to get married immediately and they were wondering if the Judge was available. I asked if he would be willing to perform a marriage and he agreed. I went downstairs and brought the couple up to our courtroom while the Judge filled out the necessary paperwork. He came into the courtroom and performed the simple ceremony for this couple. The couple was older (and was dressed in jeans and t-shirts, just in case you were wondering) and they had the same last name. As they were signing their marriage certificate the Judge casually says, "I noticed that you have the same last name. Is this a re-marriage?" To which the couple responds, "yes, we finally grew up." And then the kicker, the Judge says, "well, let's hope it sticks this time."

Who says that?!? Sure, we may have all been thinking it, but to actually say it! I had to control the laughter that was trying to escape my mouth! And he said it so non-chalantly, which made it even funnier. I think the couple was a little shocked. At least he did follow it up with a "congratulations."

I love my job!

No comments: