Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Dash

I heard this poem a few weeks ago and it really affected me! It hit home especially since losing Tim recently. But today I thought of it again as I heard about another BYU student that was killed in a car accident this weekend while driving back to Provo from spending Thanksgiving with her family. It breaks my heart to know that there are so many people around me going through something that I have had to endure recently. But this poem reminds me of how Tim lived his life and of how precious life really is.

THE DASH
by Linda Ellis
I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end
He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years
For that dash represented all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

2 comments:

Marinann said...

That is an awesome poem! I love it and want to live it better. Thanks for posting it and being a good example of living it. I love you! Mom

Jamie Petersen Photography said...

Although it took sad events for you to come back in the blogging world...I'm so glad you have! We don't talk enough and now at least I can know a little about what you're up too! I saw Wicked tonight on Broadway (yes, we're in NYC) and I thought of you! It's SOOOO good! Love ya!