Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

"Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes. We can be an influence for good in this world, every one of us." -President Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2001 General Conference
I'm sitting here seriously sobbing. I just watched a few videos on You Tube about 9/11/01 and I was doing ok until I watched one that a little girl is narrating. There are pictures of that day and the song Heaven playing and the little girl is talking about her dad who died that day. I can't get over it. It is heart breaking.

Even after 7 years, the events of that day still impact me greatly. I remember exactly what happened that day, where I was and the sick feeling I think most of us felt as we watched our country come under attack right before our eyes. I think of all those families who lost loved ones and all those kids who miss their moms and dads. I also think about all those who have lost family members in the war that we have been fighting since then.
September 11th will always and forever be a somber day. A day that we will all remember. A day I hope that we never forget.




I have stood on that sacred ground and it is a horrible, but hopeful place. As I sit here crying and remembering and pondering I can't help but also remember and ponder about the plan of happiness that our Heavenly Father has prepared for us. These are hard times, but the Lord has his eye on us; on this country. I pray for those that are serving our country and the families of those who lost their lives that fateful day.


GOD BLESS AMERICA!
This is my family at Ground Zero last summer and with a firefighter who was there that day.

7 comments:

Petersen Family said...

I think you said it perfectly Jen!! Even though there is a lot of sadness surrounding the day, it's also the day Brian asked me out for the first time!! Maybe the events of the day made him get his courage up! :) Who knew that day that we'd end up married?!?

Jason said...

I enjoyed the personal narrative, hard to read with the read text on the brown background though :-).

One curious question I had while I was reading, though?

Why is it "sacred" ground?

I tend to not think of the ground that atrocities were committed on as being particularly sacred. Not that such sites don't have important value, it just seems like there should be a different word.

One other question I had . . . I wonder why no one ever has memories like this on april 19th. I remember Oklahoma city being just as shocking at the time.

The really really cynical part of me wants to say people have forgotten about it because white people did it, but part of me recognizes that less people did die in that attack (although timothy mcveigh had written about high jacking planes and flying them into buildings years before sep 11, scary hu?). Anyway, that was probably more of a response than you wanted, but your blog got me thinking . . . I hope you are doing well!

Marinann said...

Hi Hun! I would agree that it is sacred ground after having stood there with you. One can't deny the feeling there...just like at Arlington, or the Vietnam Wall where I have also had the privilege of standing with you. It is true that tragedy is what brought it to that status, but people sacrificed their lives in both places. Some willingly and some without warning, but a sacrifice none the less. I love you! Thanks for being such an amazing daughter and woman! Mom

Haley said...

I've never seen that picture of you guys with the firefighter. How awesome! I don't think I'll ever forget where I was and what I was doing on the morning of Sept 11th. Great post!

Haley said...

Love the post about 9/11, but now that it's almost 10/11, can we have another post??? :)

Haley said...

P.S. You've been tagged.

Heidi and Josch said...

i didnt know you guys went there. that is neat.
im jealous of the american idol concert. when does it start up again anyways? how are you doing? its about time we get together again!